OVERNIGHT VEHICLE ENTRIES
– Lock it or Lose it –Between June 22 – June 25, 2020, members from the Northumberland Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received several reports of vehicle entries throughout the Hamilton Township and Trent Hills areas.
The majority of these vehicles were confirmed to be unlocked or the owners were unclear if they had locked them or not.
The entries occurred while the vehicles were parked in the owners driveways during the over night hours. Although the vehicles were clearly rummaged through, there were no items reported as stolen.
The OPP want to remind the public to keep valuables out of sight or remove them from your vehicle altogether. At the end of the day check that all your windows are up, and take your keys with you.
Be sure to take precautions to protect your vehicle and vehicle contents from theft…Lock it or Lose it.
Anyone who observes suspicious persons or activity in your area is encouraged to immediately call police.
The Northumberland OPP want to remind residents that crimes regardless of value; where there is no evidence or suspects, are eligible for Online Reporting:
- Mischief / Damage to Property;
- Mischief / Damage to Vehicle;
- Theft from Vehicle;
- Lost / Missing Property;
- Stolen License Plates and/or Validation Tags; and
- Driving Complaints (after the occurrence)
To see the list of less serious incidences for Online Reporting and to access the system, a user can go to opp.ca/reporting, choose their location and start the report. This will take the user to a secure link where they will be given precise instructions on how to fill out the report.
If you have any information that could assist with these types of investigations please contact your nearest OPP detachment or call Peterborough/Northumberland Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS). You can also submit information online at www.stopcrimehere.ca.